Friday, March 28, 2008

Post-partum

Sorry no blogging for a while (not that anyone aside from a couple of people even looks at this blog) but I was finishing a manuscript. Even though it was not the most complicated or important thing to come out of my current postdoc research, it was a fucking bitch to write and finish. IT WAS LIKE GIVING BIRTH. After 36 hours of labor, with no painkillers. And while simultaneously passing a kidney stone.

I think I have become much more exacting in my writing. Man, publishing sucks. Does it get easier with time? After seeing Brazen Hussy's recommendation of How to Write a Lot, I got meselfs a copy and found it very helpful. I started a writing group of my own with 3 Ph.D. students in the lab who are doing some hard-core dissertating. We are called the A-Team; I'm Murdoch. He says in that book not to reward good writing with no writing, but I couldn't help myself -- my brain and body just had to shut down today. At least I don't have to take famous science professor who's visiting and giving a departmental seminar to breakfast at 8am tomorrow. Dude, I got into bats so I would never, ever feel like I had to get up early in the morning. (Of course, I had to do just that for my exclosure experiments, but after 45 minutes of running around, I would just go back to bed. Hee hee!)

The new narcolepsy medicine that my doctor has been giving me on a provisional basis is working wonders for the extreme fatigue related to my thyroid problems. Hopefully it will work out as a solution to at least get me back to where I was a year ago, before said lump o gland decided to go on vacay.

No comments: