Monday, March 17, 2008

Ennui of manuscripts

Well, I (mostly) finished a rough draft of a paper for impending submission to Conservation Biology.  All that remains to write are the last couple discussion paragraphs and the acknowledgements.  It kind of annoys me that I will have to officially thank the two field assistants who made my life a living *hell* in May and June, but I can take some pleasure in the maturity of doing so.  I'm bumming right now because a fellow scientist with whom I was going to collaborate over the summer (doing some feeding trials of bats, to see which ones will glean insects directly from foliage) now cannot make it.  He was going to Panama this month to do some work, and the airline "lost" (or an employee stole?) $60,000 worth of high-sensitivity sound recording equipment!

Oh yeah, and the airline isn't going to reimburse him, and has basically told him not to hold his breath.  So now they have to write a big grant to get a shitload of money to buy the shitload of equipment again, which isn't going to happen by May.  Waaaah.  I may go ahead with some aspects of the research on my own, but it won't be as fun.  (Oh yeah, and also now I have to find someone else to help wrangle the bats -- yikes!!!)

But it aint all bad.  Here's a preview of the figure in my little article coming out in Science, yaaaayyy!

2 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Science! You are so fancy. Congratulations!

Love the bat in the hat.

Dr. Cuba Libre said...

Hi lady --

thanks! I am fancy. I have a whole "bats in hats" series.